SCI International

Travel Information

Hunter Travel Information - For Australian Residents and Non-resident hunters

If you intend travelling and hunting in a foreign country with your firearms there is a lot of information and documentation you need to obtain before your departure date. We provide some links to various Government authorities in popular destinations below. SCI members can also help you with advice and their experiences. Remember it is solely your responsibility to observe the firearm, ammunition and animal trophy import/export regulations in any country you visit, there could be significant penalties for non-compliance.

Useful information


CIA World Fact Book - Maps, Demographic, and Geographic information for countries worldwide.


World Health Organisation - Check here for health warnings and advice worldwide.


CITES Organisation - Countries that are signatories to the C.I.T.E.S. Convention have agreed to control the over-exploitation of animals listed in the CITES Appendices, Australia is a signatory. Hunters should determine if there are export/import restrictions imposed by member States on certain wildlife prior to travel.


Australian Government wildlife trade fact sheet and further information for residents and visitors wishing to import/export animal trophies.


Firearms and sporting ammunition are designated as dangerous cargo by the transport industry. These items must be packaged, labelled and handled correctly. You must contact your Airline or Shipping carrier for specific information before your departure date (flying QANTAS? use the information given below). Ask your Outfitter for information regarding internal transport in the country/s you are hunting or transiting. Travellers should be aware that some airlines and sea-carriers refuse to carry sporting arms and ammunition as passenger luggage or impose significant handling fees to do so. Hunting knives must be carried as checked baggage and declared in some countries.


SCI Hunter Hotline - this website has been compiled by Safari Club International to assist hunters travelling domestically and internationally. The database has information on firearms' transportation guidelines for all 254 airlines registered with IATA. You will need to Login as an SCI Member to access the full details.


Quarantine controls at Australia's borders minimise the risk of exotic pests and diseases entering Australia and protects our AU$32 billion agriculture export industries as well as our environment, tourism industries and lifestyle. Enforcement is strict and inspection procedures are thorough so travellers are advised to inform themselves carefully. Details here.


Most Government forms and information documents that are required for hunters travelling overseas can be downloaded from the various websites displayed below but you may require Adobe Reader. Click on the following link if you need to download this free software.



Australian Residents Travelling Overseas (Non-resident travellers here.)

DFAT, Travel Advice - Check here for current security information for your destination, transit points and stopovers.

Australian residents wishing to travel abroad with firearms and ammunition must obtain and complete a Form B709A obtained from the Firearms licensing authority in their State. (see details of State Firearms Licensing Authorities below).

Australian residents wishing to travel abroad with firearms and ammunition must also obtain a Restricted Goods Export permit from the Australian Customs Service, details here. Information found here.

Australian residents wishing to travel abroad with firearms and ammunition are advised to consult with their Outfitter/s regarding permits and licences for their destination and any transit stops prior to travel.  Useful firearm import export info here.

Import of animal trophies - information for Australian citizens wishing to import wildlife products.


Travel to Canada (from 1st March 2016 courtesy Travel Insider)

Citizens from all countries (except the United States) will need to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization before flying to or transiting through Canada.
  • The process for securing an eTA is simple: travelers apply individually online using the following link: The same information is available in multiple languages at that page. Also, there is a brief video online that further explains the process:
  • The cost to secure the eTA is $7 CAD which must be paid by Visa, Master Card or American Express. Once secured the eTA is valid for five years or when your passport expires (whichever is sooner).

Travel to Europe (extract from "In The Crosshairs e-news from SCI Washington Office - 30-04-2010)


European Union Commission Restricts Carriage Of Ammunition

Last week we reported on a new European Union Commission regulation that could make it very difficult for hunters to travel with ammunition in checked luggage in Europe.  That regulation goes into effect, April 29.  SCI has just received new information from our European partners that it is likely that most EU member states will be able obtain an exemption from this regulation.  An exemption would allow passengers to continue to carry ammunition in checked baggage.  So far, SCI has been notified that Germany will continue to allow ammunition in checked baggage and has not changed its policies in response to the EU Commission regulation. Once SCI can confirm exactly which other countries have received an exemption, we will inform you.   Whatever happens, SCI still suggests speaking with your airline or travel agent if you are travelling with ammunition through Europe.

Travel to the USA


ATF Firearms Import Information - Form 6, online fillable form here - Application for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Non-Immigrant Aliens.



Beginning January 12, 2009, all nationals and citizens of Visa Waiver Program countries, including Australia, will need authorization to travel to the United States prior to boarding a U.S.-bound airplane or cruise ship. This authorization must be obtained online through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

ESTA is a fully automated, electronic system for screening passengers before they begin to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Programme. ESTA is an approval process and not a visa.

Applications can be submitted at any time prior to travel to the United States, preferably on commencement of travel arrangements, but no later than 3 days prior to travel. Travellers who have not been approved will not be able to enter the United States. 

There is no charge to complete the application, which can be completed at any time in advance of travel. Once approved, it is valid for two years.

Travel Agents are not permitted to complete the application form on behalf of the traveller and QBT will therefore direct your travellers to the official US Government website and application form:

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) online application form 

Australians who are travelling for specific purposes like work or study may still need to obtain a visa. For more information, please go to the US Embassy, Canberra. Here is your link:

USA Visa Information 

The QANTAS website also has information and a link to the ESTA process. Here is a link:

Qantas Airlines Information - Travel to the USA

Should you have any queries, a frequently asked Question document (FAQ) can be found on the following link.

Frequently Asked Questions document - ESTA Process


Travel to Canada


Canada Firearms Centre - Form CAFC 909, online fillable form here - Non-Resident Firearm Declaration

Travel to Africa


Firearms legislation, licensing and importing is complex in the countries of Africa. Travelers are advised to seek the assistance of their outfitter/s well in advance of their travel date.

This link provides many African countries firearm import regulation details.

Travel to South Africa


Firearms legislation, licensing and importing is complex in South Africa. The following link to the SA Police (SAPS) website lists the requirements - Importation of Firearms. There is also a small company offering a personalized firearm importations service - Rifle Please read an excerpt (below) from the SAA website regarding new rules for carriage of firearms and ammunition on that airline.

Newsflash July 2009



Domestic (within and from the Republic of South Africa)

Departure (Inclusive of International departures)
Firearms may NOT be packed inside checked luggage and must therefore be packed in an appropriate lockable firearm container or case, separate from checked luggage.

Ammunition must be separated from weapons and may be packed within checked luggage, but must be properly secured in an ammunition case or solid box. No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage or within the same case as firearms.

We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases, which can be handed in as loose items at the firearm counters to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening.

All firearms and ammunition must be declared to the airline check-in agent at the time of check-in. Undeclared firearms and ammunition within checked luggage will result in such baggage being rejected during mandatory checked baggage screening, and will result in the passenger being required to open such baggage for further inspection and safe handling, or the confiscation of such items for further processing and forwarding on a subsequent flight.

Check-in agents will issue the relevant baggage tags and will then direct firearm owners to the appropriate firearm desk for inspection and processing of firearms and ammunition for secure handling to the aircraft.

During the acceptance process at the appropriate firearm desk, the following will be conducted:

  • The owner of the firearm will be required to produce a valid license or temporary import permit for the firearm(s) and ammunition.
  • The owner of the firearm(s) will be required to make and declare the firearm(s) safe and unloaded for carriage.
  • Security staff will request the firearm owner to open his/her checked luggage to verify that ammunition is securely packed and that the total weight of ammunition per license holder does not exceed 5kg’s in weight.
  • The owner of the firearm will be required to complete a firearm register for handover to security staff, who will ensure the secure loading of such items.
  • The staff at the firearm desk will send a pre-advise notification message to the receiving station, advising them of details and loading positions of firearms.
  • Checked baggage containing ammunition will be affixed with a special tag, indicating that such bag was already subjected to inspection, to avoid screening authorities from delaying or confiscating such bag for further security controls.

To see the complete document follow this link to the SAA website and select "Can my firearm travel with me?" in the FAQ search box (click on down arrow).

NEWS FLASH Important Information for Zimbabwe - 6-05-2010

Travel to Zimbabwe - Information from Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe


ZIMBABWE CURRENCY DECLARATION FORM:  Clients will have to complete a Zimbabwe Currency Declaration Form upon arrival.  They will be given a copy which they must produce upon departure.  Please warn your clients that this will happen and they must keep the copy safe, along with their firearms import permit to produce upon departure.   Obviously they should have less currency on them when they are leaving than when they arrived!   There is nothing to be alarmed about.


TEMPORARY FIREARMS IMPORT FORM:  Remind the clients to complete the form accurately and to keep their copy of the certificate safe for their departure.


Or ask your Outfitter for copies of the forms and make sure you have copies in triplicate!

Travel to New Zealand


Importing Firearms - Information on the requirements for tourists importing firearms and licence application forms.

Travel to Europe


Firearms legislation, licensing and importing is complex in the countries of Europe. Travellers are advised to seek the assistance of their outfitter/s well in advance of their travel date.

Travel to Asia


Firearms legislation, licensing and importing is complex in the countries of Asia. Travellers are advised to seek the assistance of their outfitter/s well in advance of their travel date.

When travelling by QANTAS with Firearms and sporting ammunition


See Qantas dangerous good information page - click here


Email Fax: 02-9691 1070, Tel: 02-9691 1061.


For gaining approval to carry firearms and ammunition when flying QANTAS, the best procedure  to follow is:

  • Email or fax the details of:

  • Types of firearms and how they will be carried,

  • The amount of ammunition, (maximum 5 kilos gross), and how it will be packed,

  • Flight numbers and dates,

  • Passenger's Firearms Licence Number and,

  • and/or a return fax number.


Non-residents Travelling to Australia


Australia has six States and two Territories - all have their own gun laws. Visitors to Australia wishing to carry firearms and ammunition will need permits for every State/Territory they are visiting or transiting. Your Outfitter will be able to assist with the permits required and in some jurisdictions must apply for the permits on your behalf, you are advised to consult with your Outfitter/s prior to travel. Firearms and ammunition import regulations found here.


Some types of firearms, ammunition and knives are prohibited or restricted under Australian Federal and/or State law, your Outfitter can advise you. Details here.


Non-resident travellers will require a Visa prior to arrival for entry to Australia, you can apply for a Tourist Visa online. Immigration guidelines and information here.


Exporting animal trophies - Information for foreign hunters wishing to export animal trophies.


National, Regional road maps and travel information - Tourist information.


Australia - Printable Maps - search place names and print maps, from the entire continent down to street-maps.

Travel to the Australian Capital Territory (ACT)


Firearm license information - download the Firearms Act and see regs. 45A and 49A for international visitors. Your Outfitter must arrange for your permits.

Travel to New South Wales (NSW)


Firearm license information - access the Firearms Regulations 2006 and see clauses 59, 60 and 118 - to apply for a Permit enquire using the email link here.

Travel to the Northern Territory (NT)


Firearm license information - download the Firearms Act and Firearms Regulations. Download information and the Application for International Visitors.

Travel to Queensland (QLD)


Firearm license information - download the Weapons Regulation 1996 and see reg. 11 and Information for Overseas Visitors.

Travel to South Australia (SA)


Firearm license information - download the Firearm Regulations and see regs. 49, 50 for international visitors.

Travel to Tasmania (TAS)


Firearm license information - see Application procedures for international visitors.


Information pertaining to firearms and ammunition on the Bass Strait ferries found at their website, read sections 29 and 30 of the Terms and Conditions.

Travel to Victoria (VIC)


Firearm license information - download the Firearms Act 1996 and the Firearms Regulations 1997. You must contact your Outfitter for permits.

Travel to Western Australia (WA)


Firearm regulations and information - download the Firearms Act and see Sections 17 and 17A. Email the West Australian Police Service for further assistance.